Tuesday, March 02, 2004

The BeOSJournal ~ #726 ~ Confessions of a Latter-Day BeOS Convert.

The BeOSJournal ~ #726 ~ Confessions of a Latter-Day BeOS Convert.:

"BeOS was just one of a number of operating systems that I tried to obtain and investigate. At first, I wasn't sure how the name was spelled. Was it 'BOS'? Or 'Bee OS'? Or 'BeOS'? What was it? I had only heard the name once, a few years earlier, and had never seen it in print. In fact, at this point -- chronic amnesiac that I am -- I wasn't even entirely sure what name I had heard. Had I really heard anything like this at all?

A Google search revealed that there was (and is) an operating system called BeOS. As I learned more about it, I could scarcely believe that something seemingly so excellent could be so little known. I learned of the demise of Be, Inc., and quickly came to sense the tragedy of it. Already I had a strong distaste for all things Microsoft, and the Redmond behemoth's brutish, monopolistic behavior in snuffing out Be, Inc. by threatening its would-be OEM partners struck me as horribly unjust, if maddeningly typical. These feelings of indignation spurred me on. My general interest in 'the operating system' began to shift toward a more specific interest in BeOS."

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews