Saturday, March 05, 2005

MIT's Superarchive

MIT's Superarchive: "DSpace grew out of the mutual need of MIT's libraries and researchers to preserve digital work, says Ann Wolpert, director of libraries for the Institute. A few years before the project began, she says, 'faculty started coming to the library and saying, I have this stuff on my Web site. I want it to be more secure than it is on my computer. Will you figure out how to take my digitally formatted materials?'' Although the libraries have massive print archives dedicated to preserving a wide range of materials, they had no system for digital preservation. So Wolpert talked with the libraries' faculty advisory committee and visited departments across campus to determine what was needed."

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews