Friday, April 07, 2006

Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism: "The impact of of D-Link's abuse

Negotiations with the DIX management are ongoing, but the current theory is that I will have to close the GPS.DIX.dk server or pay a connection-fee of DKR 54.000,00 (approx USD 8,800) a year as long as the traffic is a significant fraction of total traffic to the server.

I owe $5000 to an external consultant who helped me track down where these packets came from.

I have already spent close to 120 non-billable hours (I'm an independent contractor) negotiating with D-Link's laywers and mitigating the effect of the packets on the services provided to the legitimate users of GPS.dix.dk.

Finally I have spent approx DKR 15.000,00 (USD 2,500) on lawyers fees trying to get D-Link to negotiate in good faith.

If I closed the GPS.dix.dk server right now, wrote off all the time I have spent myself, then my expenses would amount to between DKR 45.000,00 and DKR 99.000,00 (USD 7,300 to 16,000) and several hundered administrators throughout Denmark would have to spend time reconfiguring their servers.

If on the other hand we assume I leave the service running and that the unauthorized packets from D-Link products continue for the next five years, the total cost for me will be around DKR 115.000,00 + 54.000,00 per year (approx USD 18,500 + USD 8,800 per year) or DKR 385.000,00 over the next five years (USD 62,000).

All of this is entirely due to D-Link's incompetent product design and I have no way to mitigate it."

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews