Wednesday, November 07, 2007

From Penthouse to RV

One day earlier I was idly browsing eBay, as I’m known to do. I had this fantasy that I would give up all of my stuff and move into a smaller place.
This notion was born when I moved from a larger house into the condo and was made acutely aware by the moving process of just how much junk I had.


Always one to take things to extremes, I searched for an RV. I wanted one that had a shower, toilet, and kitchen, so that I could actually live in it. At the same time it had to be small enough that I could park it in any regular parking spot. The V12 engine of my car afforded me the same miles per gallon as an RV, so I figured I may as well let it replace my car as well.
The first RV in my search was exactly the one I wanted. At 21 feet long it could fit into a standard 19 foot parking space with minor overhang. It was a 2002 model, which meant that it looked good enough to be presentable. Paying for a spot in a trailer park seemed like it defeated the purpose of the experiment, so I planned on parking downtown across from my favorite restaurant. The best part was the price. It was only $14,000, barely more than 1% of the value of my current home. Similar RVs sold for $20,000.

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews