Saturday, October 20, 2001

JC's Home Page


Anyway, I was wondering about what the most reliable server for websites might be, so I decided to consult the maker of the dominant commercial web server, Microsoft. I took a run over to the list of highest uptimes of web servers at microsoft's snail mail address. What did I find out? Microsoft's highest uptime servers
4 out of the top 5 high uptime web servers at Microsoft are Linux or BSD based.
10 out of the top 15 high uptime web servers at Microsoft are Linux or BSD based.
Everything from 15 on appears to be Windows 2000 based, hinting that Microsoft's Linux and BSD servers are all few in number, but in general tend to outperform Windows 2000 and IIS in terms of uptime. I believe that Microsoft is telling us through here that Windows 2000 and IIS are best for short term, non-business web servers, while BSD and Linux are much more optimal for critical environments where server life is of maximum import. I would like to thank Microsoft for this, as I was considering moving from Apache to IIS before I read this.
(Source: fyo)

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews