Friday, July 19, 2002

Nice Website, nice clean design, good subject well covered.


Denali Highway, Alaska


Denali Highway, Alaska--I must admit, the idea of driving along a potholed, gravel road for 135 miles did not entirely captivate me when my uncle first brought it up. Visions of flat tires and overheated radiators deflated any potential enthusiasm.
A few days later, though, as I stared at the snow-capped mountain range spreading itself out before me, fronted by spruce-covered hills and a swift-flowing, serpentine river, I decided that if a flat tire was the price of admission, a journey down the Denali Highway was worth every pump of the jack.
Its breathtaking vistas had a wild, untamed look, intensified by the raw fury of its rushing, glacier-fed rivers. Here, I realized, nature was in control. Mankind was but a footnote. Only the presence of the dusty, pebble-strewn highway stretching into the distance gave any hint that men had ever set foot on this remote landscape.

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews