Thursday, January 30, 2003

test

test A lot of aimless browsing brought me to I, Cringly. This man is a genius. On his "Pulpit" section is a treasure trove of articles on what I would call survival techniques in the digital age. After considering rolling my own DSL on an analog leased line, which would entail for me a hefty annual telecom fee (plus the rather high cost of Pair-Gain SDSL modems), I stumbled across This article about 802.11, which describes how Bob Cringley, with little trouble (use of telescopes notwithstanding), connected his rural home to a DSL connection he had set up 10 miles (16km) away.

So according to the theories gleaned from Cringley's article, I realised I could connect my domestic LAN to my workplace LAN, with the help of two wireless LAN bridging devices, and a couple of good antennae (and no annual fee!). Obviously worth further investigation..

I started with Cringley's 802.11 links, which sent me well on my way to wireless Nirvana. Detailed instructions and antenna designs abound, along with some innovative ideas (mostly about saving money, which is good).

After some quick price-researching I found that the cheapest 802.11 unit available that suited my purposes was the Linksys WAP11, which has detachable antennae, LAN-bridging capability, 128bit WEP encryption, and best of all, at the time of writing only costs US$134.- on Amazon.com! This unit has the best value for money available for this type of device right now. I lost no time in ordering me a couple of these gems and having them delivered to a friend in California who just happened to be on his way to Egypt a few weeks later. Lucky me!

No comments:

Edward A. Villarreal. Powered by Blogger.

Labels

Total Pageviews